“Vacation”, what do you think about when you hear that word? For me, one of the first things I think about is all the delicious food I can eat. The great thing now a day, is you can quickly look up a restaurant review on sites such as Trip Advisor to see how the food is, what people liked / didn’t like etc. Although I am no expert in cooking, I do consider myself a very educated person in eating ( self proclaimed of course). So here is my Top 5 “good eats” while staying in our sweet little Swiss Village, Champéry:
1. Café du Nord – If you are looking for a real Suisse dining experience, I highly recommend Café du Nord. As you step down into the small, cozy all wooden restaurant, you really feel like you are going back in time. The menu is very classic Suisse, with items such as fondue, croute au fromage and the classic raclette, however still has the a simple burger and fries or steak options, for those not so in love with cheese.
2. Chez Joe – Well we spoke of the simple burger and fries, but if you`re wanting the real taste of a Canadian Burger, Chez Joe is the place to be. Run by a local Swiss/Canadian, Joe really shows the Swiss what a really tasty burger can be. With chicken and beef burgers to wraps, fries, vegetarian and kids’ menus, cookies and home made treats, there is surely something for everyone. You can also enjoy a range of local Artisanal beers (and wine of course, we are in Valais).. If your lucky to pop by on the right day, he has a delicious special of the week that sometimes includes such things as foie gras, fresh wild mushrooms or local lamb or deer. The easy going style of the pay now and sit down and relax, is a great atmosphere for apres ski, late night hunger or just to have a drink and a chat with Joe. PS: Don’t forget to order the “special sauce” for your fries, you can thank me later.
3. Café Du Centre – Located in the heart of the Rue Du Village, here you can sit at the cozy, relaxed bar and enjoy a glass of whatever your poison may be. Here to dine? Sit down at a table and enjoy a delicious meal with a wining and dining experience. This restaurant feels like you are in a beautiful chalet, with candles and a cool relaxed playlist in the background. Here you will find a classic Suisse menu, to seafood, and everything in between. Staying with Mrs.Miggins ? Enjoy your first drink on the house.
4. Alta 1974 – Buongiorno! Enjoy a taste of Italy at this new Italian restaurant. Originally an old pub in the village, Alta was recently transformed to this gorgeous Italian heaven, with windows along the entire wall to give you an open relaxed feel. There is a selection of pizza and pasta, to tartare de veau ( my favorite dish). A great little place to enjoy for everyone from families to a romantic night out.
5. Les Rives– Craving cheese? Les Rives is the place for you . Located on the opposite side of the village, Les Rives is a classic Suisse restaurant for your raclette and fondue. This restaurant is beautifully located across the village, to give you the view that many people do not see. In summer, enjoy the garden and play a game of patanque. This is also a very popular place for weddings to take place, with it´s authentic Suisse feel and gorgeous surroundings. Just be sure to make a reservation, as they can fill up quick!